CITY OF PIEŠŤANY AND ACTIVITIES AROUND OUR HOTEL
Piešťany is considered one of Slovakia's most attractive cities. The name Piešťany is derived from the local term for sand, which is a common feature of the Váh silt on which the city is built. The history of the city is closely connected with the development of the spa industry in the 16th century. The first detailed description of thermal springs dates to 1545 in a book titled Report on Hungary’s Marvellous Waters. Well-known balneologist, professor Henirich J. von Cranz came to Piešťany in 1772. The first permanent spa structure was constructed following his visit. The first brick and mortar spa structures were constructed at the start of the 19th century, and were completed and expanded throughout the entire 19th century. Treatment itself advanced to a medically-based method. The Winter family was responsible for the greatest boom in the spa industry; their guidance saw grandiose expansion of the spa facilities and Piešťany became known around the world thanks to its active promotion. Tens of thousands of guests flocked to the spa during the inter-war period, including many prominent figures. Piešťany today is a modern city of culture, sports activities, social events, green parks and historical and cultural landmarks while staying true to its spa town character.